Are you ready to take your coffee game up a notch? Then this caramel espresso shaker is just the thing for you!
This deceptively simple recipe combines two of my favorite things: rich, creamy caramel and bold, full-bodied espresso. The flavor combination will leave you wanting more with every sip, and the presentation is sure to impress.
So grab your ingredients, and let’s start creating this delicious treat!
What is a caramel espresso shaker?
A caramel espresso shaker is a beverage made by combining decadent caramel syrup with freshly-brewed espresso.
The two ingredients are mixed in a shaker cup, poured over ice, and topped with a splash of milk.
It’s a drink that’s almost too pretty to drink but too delicious to resist.
What’s in a caramel espresso shaker?
With only a few simple ingredients, the caramel espresso shaker is easy to whip up at home!
For a bold coffee flavor, go for the traditional dark, rich espresso roast.
But if you want a lighter coffee flavor, try blonde roast. If you have a Nespresso machine, try the Starbucks blonde roast in this drink.
The subtle hint of blonde espresso pairs deliciously well with the caramel flavor of the syrup.
And if you have neither a Nespresso nor an espresso machine, try using your own machine to brew coffee about twice as strong as you usually would brew it.
You can also use a Moka pot. Or try this recipe with cold brew coffee instead of espresso.
Experiment until you find the combination that you love!, ,
To avoid dairy and soy products, I make my own caramel syrup.
But you can certainly buy caramel syrup instead of making it.
When it comes to caramel, there are a few different varieties from which to choose.
Caramel sauce is thicker. Ghirardelli and Torani both make a delectable caramel sauce.
Sauces mix better with hot liquids and can leave a residue at the bottom of your glass.
Syrup mixes well with hot or cold beverages, although it has a slightly more subtle caramel flavor than the sauce., ,
Lactose-free milk is my preference for this drink, but feel free to use your preferred choice of milk. Soy milk works equally well as does skim or oat milk.
You can either pour the milk directly on top of the coffee or top it with delectably sweet cold foam.
The Instant milk frother is the newest addition to my kitchen, and it makes whipping up a batch of cold foam a snap.
All you need to do is add milk, a splash of vanilla extract, and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, push a button, and voila!
Delicious cold foam perfect for topping a caramel espresso shaker or any other iced coffee drink.
Caramel Espresso Shaker
- 1/2 cup turbinado cane sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 shots espresso or coffee of your choice
- 1 tsp caramel extract
- 1/4 cup oat milk or milk of your choice
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. If you're using pre-made caramel syrup, skip to step 4.
- Continue heating until the sugar dissolves. Stir occasionally and prevent the mixture from boiling as it adds a bitter flavor to the syrup.
- Once it reaches your preferred consistency, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool. Pour into a container and store in the fridge for up to 1 month.
- Pull 2 shots of espresso or brew coffee per your preference.
- Combine ice and espresso or coffee with 1 tablespoon of simple syrup and 1 teaspoon caramel extract. Or substitute 1 tablespoon pre-made caramel syrup.
- Shake for 1-2 minutes and strain the coffee mixture into a mason jar filled with ice.
- Pour milk over the top, either straight out of the carton or cold foam.
- Add a caramel drizzle if you have a sweet tooth, and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you substitute brown sugar for cane sugar in this recipe?
Yes. Adding brown sugar gives it a bit more caramel flavor.
Where can you buy a caramel espresso shaker?
Caribou Coffee features this popular drink on its menu. You can also try espresso shakers featuring the delicious flavors of vanilla syrup and white chocolate.
Can you transform a caramel espresso shaker into an adult-themed happy hour beverage?
Absolutely! This drink can quickly transform into a salted caramel espresso martini at your next cocktail party by omitting the milk and adding vodka.
Coffee liqueur is another option for whipping this drink into a delicious cocktail.
As a coffee lover, I always look for new ways to enjoy the brew! This caramel espresso shaker is a fun and delicious way to combine my equal love for coffee and caramel.
This recipe is simple and economical to make from scratch at home, but if you’re looking for convenience, you can also buy caramel syrup in most grocery stores and online.
I hope this recipe has inspired you to whip up a unique iced coffee treat of your own. Enjoy!
If you loved this post, check out my other coffee-inspired content:
- How to Recreate a Vanilla Spice Dunkin’ at Home
- Iced Latte vs. Iced Coffee: Differences You Need to Know
- How to Make a Delectable Raspberry Mocha latte
- Powdered Sugar in Coffee: What You Need to Know About This Combo
- How to Make an Irresistible Twix Latte
- How to Make a S’mores Mocha Latte
- How to Make the Perfect Peppermint Mocha
- How to Make a Copycat Cinnamon Dolce Latte
- How to Make a Strawberry Latte
- Dutch Bros Annihilator: The Best Drink Ever?!