Calling all Dutch Bros. fans! Today, we are talking about all things Annihilator.
This drink is seriously amazing and will leave you wanting more! It’s a mix of several different flavors that come together to create a delicious masterpiece.
Let’s jump right in!
Pssst … Click here to skip to the recipe!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an affiliate of Amazon, I may receive a commission at no extra cost if you purchase through a link. Please see my full disclosure for further information. I take no credit for the images appearing on this page. All photos courtesy of Canva.
What is the Dutch Bros Annihilator?
The Annihilator is a delicious drink that is easily in the running for the best Dutch Bros drinks of all time!
It contains espresso, milk, and chocolate macadamia nut syrup.
The iced variety can be made with cold brew coffee. You can also make or order a blended version of the drink.
And you can top any version with their signature Soft Top.
What is a breve?
The classic breve is espresso combined with steamed half-and-half. The half-and-half adds an element of creaminess to the drink that can only be described as legendary!
Flavoring syrups are generally added to breves as well. But if your taste buds yearn for that strong espresso flavor, you can certainly skip the extra sugar.
What is the difference between a breve and a latte?
The latte is arguably one of the most popular beverages in coffee shops worldwide.
One of the reasons it’s a favorite drink of coffee drinkers everywhere is that it’s so easily customized.
The standard drink size offered by even the most popular coffee chain generally contains 2 shots of espresso, any type of milk ranging from whole milk to non-fat milk, and flavor syrups.
With a little caramel sauce, a latte transforms into delectable caramelly goodness with a hint of coffee flavor. Add white chocolate sauce and the drink becomes a white mocha.
While a latte can be made with any type of milk, such as almond or oat milk, a breve is made with half-and-half.
The fat content of half-and-half adds to the flavor and texture of the drink, resulting in a richer coffee experience.
Like lattes, breves also typically come with added flavor syrup.
And Dutch Brothers has really hit it out of the park with their chocolate macadamia nut breve!
What does the Annihilator taste like?
The Annihilator has a subtle hint of chocolate and macadamia, which offer an exquisite pairing with the exceptional flavor of Dutch Bros coffee.
And the drink has a luscious mouth feel thanks to the addition of the foamed half-and-half.
Although you can substitute other types of milk, part of what makes this drink stand out is the half-and-half.
Keep in mind that if you follow a vegan diet or are lactose-intolerant, several companies offer non-dairy options.
Recipe for the Annihilator
Copycat Annihilator from Dutch Bros
- 1 cup half-and-half or milk of your choice
- 1 shot espresso substitute cold brew or chilled espresso for iced version
- 1 tbsp chocolate macadamia nut syrup
- ice iced version
- topping of your choice (whipped cream, soft top, etc.)
- For the hot version: Steam and froth the half-and-half.
- Pour the half-and-half into your mug and add the flavor syrup, stirring thoroughly.
- Pull a shot of espresso and add to the flavored milk.
- Finish with the topping of your choice and enjoy! For a drink worthy of Instagram, dust with a bit of cocoa powder.
- For the iced version: Fill a glass half full with ice. Make ice cubes with coffee instead of water if you don't want your drink to dilute as it melts.
- Add the flavor syrup to the half-and-half and froth but don't steam it to give it texture. Once frothed, pour into the glass with ice.
- Add a shot of espresso that has been cooled to room temperature or 1/8 to 1/4 cup cold brew coffee, depending upon how strongly you want the coffee flavor to shine through.
- Give it a stir and finish with the topping of your choice. Enjoy!
- For the blended version: Add espresso, half-and-half, flavor syrup, and ice to a blender. Blend to your desired texture and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you need any special equipment to make the Annihilator?
Not necessarily. For a lighter coffee flavor, you can also use regular brew coffee.
If you’re making the iced or blended version, consider buying pre-made cold brew.
If there’s one thing I’ve learned about being a home barista, you’re free to experiment and try whatever makes sense to you! Feel free to get creative!
Not sure about the differences between a Nespresso and a Verismo? Check out this post!
Can you buy chocolate macadamia nut syrup?
Yes! Click the picture below to view the syrup on Amazon. There is also a sugar-free option for anyone watching their sugar intake.,
What other tasty drinks does Dutch Bros offer?
It’s no secret that the long lines at Dutch Bros are thanks to the fact that they offer SO MANY delicious drinks! Here are a few of their most creative:
- Bob Marley: This tasty Dutch Bros Secret Menu drink features dark chocolate, banana, and coconut syrups.
- Golden Eagle: An exquisite blend of caramel and vanilla flavors dance with espresso in a classic drink you’ll keep coming back to time after time.
- Double Rainbro: A funky concoction of fruit flavors combined with a can of rebel energy drink guaranteed to get you through an afternoon slump!
- Electric Berry Green Tea: Blue raspberry meets lime and green tea in a stunning display of coffee shop goodness!
- White Chocolate Annihilator: The regular Annihilator gets an upgrade thanks to a hit of white chocolate.
Can you make a vegan version of the Annihilator?
Absolutely. Several companies make non-dairy half-and-half that you can sub out for the dairy version.
You could also opt to make this drink with other types of milk; however, it will lose the velvety texture that is the hallmark of a breve.
Is the Annihilator low-fat?
No. But you can sub other types of milk to reduce the fat content of the drink.
You can reduce the calorie content by using sugar-free syrup.
The next time you’re craving something sweet, give the Annihilator a try!
Even if you don’t live in one of the 13 states with a Dutch Bros location, you can easily recreate the recipe at home.
And the best part about being a home barista is that you can customize the drink for your preferences, all while wearing your pajamas!
Please help me spread the word about the blog by pinning and sharing with a friend! And if you loved this post, check out my other Dutch Bros posts!
- How to Make the Caramelizer from Dutch Bros
- How to Make Dutch Bros Christmas Morning: The Best Holiday Drink Ever!
- The Ultimate Guide to Making Dutch Bros Soft Top